If you are like most of us, you have a daily routine…or is it regime….for skin care. You blot, soak, scrub, wash, and pluck, all to make sure your skin is free of blemishes and smooth as a baby’s behind. Your daily cleansing routine is your time to pamper and give yourself some “me” time.
What you may not realize is that your daily cleansing routine may be doing more harm than good. “How is that possible?,” you ask. Let me tell you, we are not always as gentle as we could be and we need to start treating our skin with some respect.
Here is how to keep your daily cleansing routine gentle:
- Pat dry. Do you pat? I didn’t before I knew better. I just took the towel and rubbed. Don’t do that.
- Dial back your shower or bath. “What? I thought a spicy hot, steamy bath was good for my skin?” Not so. You have natural oils on your skin. Taking long, hot showers and baths as part of your daily cleansing routine strips your skin of those oils. Shorten up your shower or bath and you don’t have to make it so darn hot.
- Moisturize properly: Use a moisturizer appropriate to your skin type and apply moisturizer to wet skin. This was another eye opener. It feels so much better on your face and body this way…try it!
- Deal with your razor: I know, I know, I know….we all have great intentions of keeping our razor sharp and nice when we get a new razor but after a little bit, we continue to shave with a dull, not-so-nice razor blade. First, you want to have something to make your skin slick before you shave, hopefully even more slick than soap, like shaving cream. Also, change that razor blade regularly.
- Choose the right cleansing products. You may have a daily cleansing routine but you may be using a cleanser that is too harsh for you. Consult your esthetician to find out the best cleanser for your skin type.
After learning about skin, I completely changed my daily cleansing routine. I shower in a warm…rather than hot shower, pat dry, and before I am completely dry, I apply my moisturizer to both my body and my face. It really makes a world of difference!