I am getting older. I feel like I was in an in-between stage for so long in my late 30s. I was holding on tight to the makeup of my youth. I think we all do this: we think that if we keep using the products and techniques of our youth we will stay looking young. The problem is, this thinking is flawed. What was great for our 20’s just looks silly or outdated when you cross that line into your 40’s. Now, you need tips on doing makeup for women over 40 to help you break free of the stranglehold on your old ways.
Simple Yet Amazing Tips for Makeup for Women Over 40
- Try a different type of foundation: First and foremost, you need to look for makeup with sunscreen and moisturizer. Our skin now has less elasticity, it is dryer, and we are worrying more and more about skin cancer. Our daily makeup needs to reflect these needs. Makeup for women over 40 must include high quality makeup. The best makeup will add other desirable ingredients to your makeup like antioxidants and hyaluronic acid. A makeup artist secret: mix a dollop of your foundation with a dollop of your favorite moisturizer, swirl together in your palm and apply.
- Lighten up: Don’t lighten the color but lighten the application. Stop using the amount of makeup you were using in your youth. One of our best makeup tips for women over 40 is to switch from a full coverage foundation to a tinted moisturizer or a sheer foundation.
- Skip the deep and opt for the bright: This is a lipstick makeup tip that saves you in a number of ways. First, as we age, our lips shrink and, second, our lip lines become fuzzy. A deep, dark lipstick makes your lips look smaller and is more likely to bleed into the upper lip lines. Chose light bright peaches, pinks, and reds to maximize your lips. Glossy lipstick is better than matte – it plumps lips while softening the lip line.
- Brown over Black: Don’t wear thick black eyeliner any more. It just makes your lids look heavy. Is that what you want? Heavy lids? I didn’t think so. Chose a chocolate brown instead.
- Avoid the lower lid: Don’t line your lower lid or put mascara on your lower eyelashes. That is right, you heard me. When I learned about this, I fought it. My hands wanted to apply the makeup as it used to. Don’t do it. Your eyes look so much bigger and brighter when you restrain yourself. Give it a go, you will be as amazed as I was.
- Blush up!: This tip for makeup for women over 40 will make you look flushed and fresh. Use blush with a large brush and avoid a stripe of color. Dab blush on your cheek bones only for day and extend the blush back toward your ears for a heavier nighttime look.
- Eyebrows Eyebrows Eyebrows: Hmmm….where do I begin? As we age, our eyebrows thin. It is hard to avoid it. We start to line our brows. However, we have all seen that older woman who has such dark painted-on eyebrows that they look a bit ridiculous. The problem is, they are too darn dark. Use an eyebrow pencil in a shade lighter than you may think and line with a light touch. Don’t draw on the eyebrows. Rather use the pencil to accentuate the eyebrows you have left with short upward strokes. Another good option is an eyebrow enhancer like GrandeLash MD Eyelash and Eyebrow Growth Enhancer or RapidLash Eyelash and Eyebrow Renewal Serum.
Sometimes, we need a reality check but we don’t know what to do. We go to the makeup counter and walk away looking like a clown. Take these tips on makeup for women over 40 in and reclaim your makeup regimen. When you do, you will find it a cinch to look fabulous over 40!