When we use a moisturizer, whether it is pricey or drug store bought, we buy it to make our skin better and more supple. We buy it because during winter, especially, most of us are chapped messes. Our skin is flaky and dry and needs love and attention. However, what we probably don’t expect is that there are really, really bad ingredients in moisturizers.
The problem is that it doesn’t just lay on our skin. Our skin is our biggest organ and gunk gets into our bodies through this large organ. The bad ingredients in moisturizers we put on top of our skin becomes bad stuff inside our bodies. The really terrible thing is that there is so much bad stuff in moisturizers that I could list a top twenty list and still have room left over. It is rampant. When we buy lotion or moisturizers we have to be armed with knowledge. Knowledge is Power! Avoid these bad ingredients in moisturizers by looking for clean brands that are open and forthright about their ingredients.
Top 5 culprits ~ the really bad ingredients in moisturizers
5. Borax: This is one of the lovely bits of bad ingredients in moisturizers that you may not expect. They stick it in there to whiten your lotions. However, it is a pesticide and herbicide. It is terrible for children. It can even be in organic products because it can be mined organically. That doesn’t make it any better. It is hidden as Sodium borate decahydrate, Sodium tetraborate decahydrate, Sodium biborate, Sodium pyroborate .
4. Aluminum: Many people avoid aluminum in their deodorants. It can cause rashes in many of us folks. Plus, what you don’t know is that aluminum is a really bad ingredient in moisturizers. It is a neurotoxin to humans. It can be listed as Magnesium Aluminum Sulfate.
3. Sodium Hydroxide: This corrosive material is used in moisturizers to stabilize pH levels. It is a harsh alkali product used to clean commercial ovens and pipes. It causes lung cancer. Beware!
2. Phthalates: These are the fake fragrances used in your moisturizers. These are nasty molecules of bad stuff in your moisturizers. They have been shown to cause birth defects and liver damage in lab animals. They are also linked with male fertility problems.
1. Parabens: This group of goodies, listed in your products as
were created as food-based preservatives. Yet, other countries realized quickly that they may be linked with breast cancer. They are weakly estrogenic and they cause irritation to some people’s skin.
There is so much garbage in our skin products, the only way you can put an end to all these really bad ingredients in moisturizers is to stop buying it. You need to vote with your pocketbook and tell the big manufacturers that we will not allow this poison in our skin products.